I am abroad only for four weeks, so a fairly short time. Being away from home in another country (no matter the duration) still has its down sides. The longer you are gone, more likely you are to get homesick.
Here are some tips I’ve found helpful
- Make it feel like home unpack, but your toiletries, clothes and other things where they belong
- Food eat the foods you would eat at home, breakfast, snacks etc.
- Keep up with the habits what ever it might be, having a cup of coffee or tea in the morning, going for a walk everyday, reading a book, watching videos. Habits are an important part of your routine! Don’t let them go.
- Keep in touch with friends and family as often as you would at home, if not more
- Positive thoughts instead of focusing on the things you miss or that are better in your home country, focus on all the good things that you prefer ’here’ compared to home
And wherever you are staying and no matter how long, remember it is completely normal and totally okay to feel homesick. But don’t let it keep you from enjoying yourself. Home will always be there for you to go back to.